Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Holly-Days in the City- Funny HaHa Edition


One thing I love doing, and seemingly do not do enough, is going to sketch, improv and stand-up shows in the city. There are so many great ones to see! Now, I have to admit, seeing the signs for TBS Just for Laughs totally prompted this post. The thing about Just for Laughs is that some of those shows get wicked expensive! So, I thought I would break it down for those who let their money burn that hole in their pocket over the weekend....

Chicago Underground Comedy presents: Secret Big-Time Local Comedy Showcase
June 4 8:00pm at Beat Kitchen ONLY $5!!
- I recommend this, because here you can find a local comedian to laugh your socks off, AND it gives you a great event to take out of town visitors to when you can't think of anything else. (Plus who doesn't like being able to say, "Oh I just love this guy/gal. I saw him/her at this totally Chicago place before s/he was big. No big deal"). They do this sort of thing at Beat kitchen on a regular basis, I suggest checking it out!

TBS Just For Laughs Pet Project Series Tim Baltz
June 15, 9:30 PM The Playground Theater ONLY $5!!
- Call me biased, but I think Tim Baltz is HILARIOUS! (And not just because he was my improv coach at one point... oh did I just brag there?... oh I think I did...) You can catch this creative funny guy regularly at Second City... but this is waaaay cheaper and trust me, you will have a great time.

TBS Just For Laughs Pet Project Series Britanick
June 15 and 16th, 9:30 PM The Playground Theater ONLY $5!!
- If you are ready for two guys with the most ridiculous sense of humor, stay for the night at the Playground after seeing Mr. Tim Baltz for BriTANick. I have only seen their short films, but they are so ridiculously funny (I mean it- they are ridiculous) that I can't wait to see them live.

John Lutz and Scott Adsit
June 15 Midnight, iO $20 (so $10 a performer... um hellz yes!)
If you don't like 30 Rock, stop reading my blog. Go see these guys. It's $20 at iO. When are you ever going to be that close to people who get to hug Tina Fey? The Midnight show is the only one with tickets still left- they say to call the iO box office for the 2 other shows as the theatre may have some tickets through their box office.

Messing w/ a Friend featuring Michael Patrick Thornton
June 16th, 2011 - 10:30PM The Annoyance Theater ONLY $10!!
Susan Messing is one freaking hysterical woman. This is a show she does regularly at the Annoyance, so if not this night, I suggest catching her at some point in your life time, because she is a friggin hoot.

Hot Tub with Kurt and Kristen
June 17th, 7:30 PM Lincoln Hall $20 (with fees)
Hosted by Kurt Braunohler and Kristen Schaal (The Daily Show anyone??) You've seen these guys on tv. They are funny!! They do this show in NYC all time I guess, so it's a well-oiled machine and sounds like it will be a great time!

Best of the Fest
June 17th and June 18th, 11:55PM at Red Bar Comedy Club ONLY $15!!
It's the grab bag event hosted by Sugar Sammy. Various comedians from the festival putting on shortened forms of their routines and surprise "walk-ons" both nights. Sounds like fuuun to me!

*****

Now, if you have a little extra cash and want to see some great acts, my top two of the whole festival are Louis C.K. (June 18th, 2 shows!) and The Steve Martin and Martin Short shows (June 19th); both are at the Chicago Theatre.
(I don't think I need to explain why you should see these guys... right?)

For the Full listing of all acts you can click: http://www.justforlaughschicago.com/justforlaughschicago/schedule.jsp



*****

Other Funny Chicago Things That are Cheap:
Baggage Claimed
Second City: Donny's Skybox
($10 (students), $13 everybody else!!)
Fridays, 10:30pm, June 3, 10, 17, 24

My wonderfully talented friend Rachel LaForce is
joined by a great group of talented improvisers for this musical comedic offering.

Selleck Man and Friends

Studio Be
(ONLY $10 or only $5 if you come sporting a Hawaiian shirt of mustache)
Fridays June 3- July 8 at 10:00pm
It's an improvised show about Tom Selleck, what's not to love?

Now go! Laugh thine balls off- for cheap!
- William Shakespeare

No comments: