Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Into the Wild


Last weekend I went camping for the first time since, I think, my senior year of high school... and even then I am pretty sure we ended up inside my aunt's house instead of sleeping by the river. Needless to say, it's been awhile since I have roughed it.

So, I flew to Denver, which is seemingly trying to beat the crap out of anywhere in Oklahoma for the most tornadoes this year. Clearly camping in the mountains is a GREAT idea with weather like that. I wish I had fear of situations like this. But, for some reason I think I am invincible. I like to sit upstairs and watch funnel clouds, I like watching the sideways hail pelt against the windows that are inches from my face, hell I am not even nervous driving in torrential down pours. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?? You would think due to how clutzy I am, conditions that could amplify that would concern me... but no.

Anyway, we went up to Black Hawk, CO and camped for 3 days and 2 nights. It was a blast! The weather actually held out for us for the most part. I mean it was cold at night, but otherwise we only had one storm, and enjoyed the weather the rest of our days!

The first day we took it easy; set up our tents, and started making the first campfire... campfire was what we lived for, I swear we spent more time maintaining the fire. EN FUEGO.


Then we made burgers, talked, laughed, drank and made s'mores until ,what we think, were the wee hours... all I know is we decided it was time for bed when I laughed so hard I fell off my chair and hit my head on the picnic table bench.

The next morning I woke up too early. But oh well, I just sat around with the boys... around the campfire... until Darcy woke up and then we all ate and went for a hike. What I love is that we drove to a place called Nederland to hike to Lost Lake. I am convinced that Peter Pan lives in Colorado. I mean those names are PRETTY coincidental, no? Just look at this place:
I believe fairies and lost boys live here. It's gorgeous!! We stayed there for a little while, eating and fishing. The hike was a bit of a bitch for this "flat lander" as Ian's dad called me. My stomach was also doing something interesting, so we had to cut our time up in Lost Lake short to head back to civilization for a lil :D




We may have cheated and gotten pizza whilst in civilization... we MAY have...

We then went back to camp, just in time to get everything stashed and ourselves in the castle of a tent before a storm hit.
So the boys played cards. This is Ian by the way.

Darcy and I napped.

Then the storm cleared and Darcy and I woke up. The boys had started yet another fire. So we made dinner. I was in charge of corn... because I am from Nebraska... it was so good. Then we sat around the fire once again to tell stories and make fun of each other. It was a big "that's what she said" weekend. Many many many that's what she saids.

I think I have about a million inside jokes from the weekend too. And for the 4 others on the trip here is a quick reminder so we have them always:
- And the bear was like, Holly you don't need those bitches
- Give me a pop tart and I am good to go!
- trapdoor
- backdoor
- dirty eagle
-Hunts for Squirrel's nuts

It was a good break from the norm, that's for sure. I had zero cell phone reception up there, so I was very much paying attention to the people I was with. Not waiting for a text or a call or a response of some sort. It was really nice! Now that being said... I TOTALLY MISSED MY PHONE. hahaha. That concerns me a bit... I am that dependent on my phone... hmm. I also need to pay better attention to people when I am just hanging out with them I suppose.

I have also learned that I agree with Darcy, 3 days and 2 nights of camping is the perfect amount, bc anymore and you would just feel too dirty and probs get grouchy. I also learned that babies should not go camping... because they will wake up the PEOPLE IN THE CAMP SITE NEXT TO YOU AT 5AM WHEN YOUR BABY IS CRYING...

All in all. An excellent weekend. I did not trip while hiking, I came damn close! I am proud to say I made it out of the wilderness with only a bump on my head and a bruise on my thigh. I am impressed.

No comments: